Monday, January 26, 2009

Healthy Brownies????

Well, maybe these are not "healthy", but they certainly are lower in fat and calories. I have never tried a dessert from my cooking light cookbook before this one. Maybe because I have always thought a dessert should be full on bad for you if I am going to put the effort into making it. I thought this recipe sounded super tasty, so I had to give it a try. They turned out great, and even Will just ate two of them with a big glass of milk. He said, "They are cake like and moist." I did not bake them as long as the recipe calls for. I took them out after 2o minutes because the seemed done.
Ooey-Gooey Peanut Butter-Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
3/4 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted and cooled
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme (about 1 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup peanut butter morsels
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine 1/4 cup condensed milk, butter, and next 3 ingredients (butter through egg white) in a bowl (batter will be very stiff). Coat bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press two-thirds of batter into prepared pan using floured hands; pat evenly (layer will be thin).
Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup condensed milk and marshmallow creme in a bowl; stir in morsels. Spread marshmallow mixture evenly over brownie layer. Carefully drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over marshmallow mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

The brownie recipe sounds awesome! I think I'm going to make it for Superbowl Sunday.

Haley Nicodemus said...

Are you like the next Rachel Ray? You are quite the little cook. Every time I get on here, I get hungry! I have yet to make any of these recipes, but I believe I will be starting with the brownies. Oh wait, I can't eat sweets. Dangit.