Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Chicken and Rice Casserole

Will's mom made something very similar to this over the holidays. It was so yummy, and Will raved about it. He is definitely a casserole type of eater. This isn't exactly diet or health food....more like comfort food. I may try to give it a heathly makeover each time I cook it. The key is to not let Will know that there is anything "light" or "fat free" about it.:-) Enjoy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Chicken and Rice Casserole
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
3 cups diced, cooked chicken
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans green beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (I used slivered almonds)
1 (4-ounce) jar pimentos
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup (next time I will use the fat free)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayo)
1 (6-ounce) box long-grain wild rice, cooked according to package directions
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
Pinch salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat butter or oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
Add all remaining ingredients to bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined.
Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

No comments: