Thursday, January 3, 2008

Beef 'n Veggie Soup with Mozzarella

I found this recipe in my Quick and Easy Betty Crocker Cookbook. This cookbook has been so helpful, and it was a birthday gift for my step mom, Jo-Ann. Thanks Jo! The weather lately is definitely soup weather. Will was either starving or he totally loved this soup. I have made tons of soup in the past, and he usually will eat just one bowl. Tonight he had two bowls plus a grilled cheese. He said that it tasted great!

Beef 'n Veggie Soup with Mozzarella
Photobucket
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (I would use half of a large onion)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery and onions (or other variety), undrained
4 cups water
5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules (I used 5 cubes)
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Italian Medley)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)

1. In 4-quart Dutch oven (I used my stock pot), cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese in each of 8 soup bowls; fill bowls with soup.

Serve w/ Grilled Cheese sandwhiches.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

wow!! all these recipes sound great. I think I'll make the soup this weekend.......where do you get your recipes??