Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

I came across this recipe in Health magazine over the weekend. Will and I seem to live on chicken and we love sweet potatoes. I figured this meal would be right up our alley. I was a bit nervous because it was in a health magazine, but it turned out pretty tasty.
Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (1 can)
1 1/2 tablespoons herbes de provence (I did not have this, I wrote substitutes down below)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (I used the kind out to the jar)
2 large peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In large bowl, combing the first 4 ingredients(through garlic).
Place sweet potatoes evenly on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Lay chicken breast flat over the potatoes and pour broth mixture over the chicken. If necessary, add just enough water to completely cover the chicken. Place on the middle rack of preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.

When it is done it will probably still have the same amount of liquid in the dish. I didn't know this, and it kind of made me question it. I just scooped it out and served it...nervously. We both enjoyed it. The chicken and potatoes come out very tender. Enjoy!

*Substituted w/ 1/2 teaspoon each of thyme, basil, and rosemary. I also salted and peppered the top of the chicken before I poured the juice over them.

No comments: