Friday, November 23, 2007

Sweet Potato Casserole

Thanksgiving

I absolutely love Thanksgiving. It is by far my favorite holiday of the year. There isn't any stress involved. You show up, spend a great day with family, eat, and go home. I love that! You are able to focus on "quality time" with your family.
So, yesterday we celebrated here in town at my Aunt Vickie's house. She has done Thanksgiving every year now since our grandfather passed away. I look forward to going to her house every year. My Uncle Steve grills the turkey and it is always a huge hit. We had such a fabulous time yesterday, and I wouldn't trade those kind of days for the world....such great memories. It is a true blessing to have that kind of closeness with my family!
So, I stuffed myself last night...really bad. I didn't even have dessert...couldn't make it that far. It must have something to do with the pregnancy. I have felt so sick for the past few months, and now that I finally feel better I went crazy. My first mistake was that darn ol' veggie tray...gets me every year. Myranda and I usually fight over the cucumbers. So, Will got to hear me complain the whole ride home last night, and I was in bed before 8:30. HaHa!

I brought a sweet potato casserole last night. This recipe rocks! I got this recipe from my sister in law, Toni. Her dad makes this recipe every year for their family. It is always a hit, and it beats that old fashioned casserole with marshmallows on top.

Sweet Potato Casserole
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2 lbs. of canned yams (drained and smashed)
1/2 cup of melted butter
2 eggs well beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 5oz. can of evaporated milk
3/4 sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Mix well put in a casserole dish.

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 flour
2 1/2 tablespoons of butter (softened)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Sprinkle this mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Ta-Da!

No comments: